Super Performance series
Performance takes priority for superb image quality
This line of ultra-high-performance lenses is designed and manufactured to the exacting specifications demanded by professionals and others who require the highest possible image quality. The foremost priority is achieving superior performance parameters – high design standards take priority over cost constraints. As a result, Tamron SP lenses feature innovative designs that have established an enviable reputation for excellence amongst demanding photographers.
Filter Effect Control
Some filters, such as graduated NDs (neutral density) or polarisers, require rotation to maximise their impact. When a lens has a long hood attached, access to the filter to adjust its angle can be difficult. A Filter Effect Control, either detachable or built into the lens, solves this problem.
Focusing elements inside the optical design make for better handling
In many lenses, the front elements move back and forth to alter the focus distance. With an internal focusing (IF) mechanism, the focusing elements are inside the optical design. Because the front lens elements remain static, the lens’ actual length does not change. This provides several benefits both to the image and during photography:
- The barrel is not subject to stray light entering from external helicoids that can adversely affect image quality
- A non-rotating front filter thread makes it easier to use filters such as graduated filters and polarisers
- A flower-shaped lens hood will remain in the correct position to most effectively shield the lens from stray light
- Better balance and more predictable handling because the lens length does not change during focusing
- Generally, a much closer minimum focusing distance throughout the zoom range
- Improved optical performance by minimising loss of illumination at the corners of the image field (vignetting)
- Suppression of other aberrations that become more troublesome at different focusing positions.
Integrated focus cam optimises internal focusing
Tamron’s Integrated Focus Cam is a precision mechanical component that optimises the co-ordinated movement of the Internal Focusing (IF) system with the Multiple Cam Zoom Mechanism. This ingenious mechanism ensures accurate and seamless positioning of all the internal elements within the lens and coordinates them with the external zoom and focus controls.
Autofocus/Manual focus system
Switching quickly between autofocus (AF) and manual focus (MF) is a great asset, especially in sports and nature photography. Tamron’s ingenious system switches between the two focus modes by simply sliding the focus ring back or forth. Tamron lenses provide smooth, precise manual focusing with wide, well-textured focusing rings.